Tuesday, April 20, 2010
12:28 AM | Posted by Organic Baby Gift Boutique | Edit Post
Expecting a baby and not sure where to start with the plethora of green, natural, organic and eco-friendly baby products available? Look no further, here are the top 10 must have items to include in your "green" gift registry.
1. BPA-Free Bottles - Safety should be your number one concern, so look for bottles free of chemicals bisphenol-A (BPA), phthalates, and polyvinyl chloride (PVC). BPA is found in plastic, so double check to make sure bottles you purchased are free of this chemical. Another option is to purchase glass baby bottles. Lifefactory is one company that makes a great looking glass baby bottle with a modern eco-friendly design.
2. Organic Skincare for baby and mom to be - Go back to basics and look for baby lotions, oils, and creams with natural, plant based, and sustainable ingredients. Look for products free of ingredients such as parabens-petro-chemicals(methyl, propyl, etc.) implicated in a multitude of health problems and phthalates - Carcinogens, mutation agents, stored in fat cells-they make perfume set and plastics bend. A few great organic skincare brands include ErbaOrganic, Mambino Organics, and Sum-Bo-Shine.
3. Organic Cotton Clothing - Organic clothing has come a long way from what some may view as the tree-hugger days. It is easy to find basic pieces for newborns along with items that have modern styling. Look for organic cotton that has been certified or includes a blend of organic cotton/soy. Bodysuits, tees, pants, hats, mittens, dresses, rompers can all be found in organic cotton material.
4. Cloth Diapers - Gone are the days of cloth diapers secured with frustrating safety pins and then adding a plastic cover on top of it all. The new wave of cloth diapers includes everything from All-in-Ones to basic diapers secured with Velcro or Snaps. And please don't forget, cloth diapers now come in a wide variety of materials and fashion colors. Need more reasons to switch from disposable to cloth? Try affordability, friendliness to our environment, and healthier for your baby.
5. Eco-Friendly diaper bags - Need a great carryall to house all of the diapers, creams, toys, snacks, and everyday items you tote around? Diaper bags are now eco-friendly made from recyclable materials and through fair trade practices. Better yet, after your baby is out of diapers, the bags are functional enough to use for everyday. Go Gaga is one brand who gets it right. In styles from messenger, gondola, and slide tote, these bags also contain a superior ergonomic strap. Bye Bye sore shoulders.
6. Organic Crib mattresses - Organic mattresses are made with organic and non-toxic materials instead of conventional and chemically treated materials. Your newborn spends a good portion of they day sleeping, so it is important to ensure a mattress is as pure as your little one. A typical crib mattress is made with many chemicals that have been linked to childhood health problems. Fire retardants, plasticizers, and other chemicals are in the foam and vinyl cover of a crib mattress. Naturpedic and Ecobaby are two companies who do well in this area.
7. Organic Crib sheets - Similar to organic crib mattresses in that your baby is spending hours sleeping on top of them. By choosing organic cotton crib sheets, your baby will thank you later. Jubi, Naturpedic and Eazz Wraps all make great looking crib sheets.
8. Organic cotton towels - From Bed to Bath, make a move toward organic cotton towels, washcloths, and robes. After using organic baby wash, shampoos, and lotions, finish the job by wrapping your precious baby in an organic hooded towel. Once again, you can find basic styling in this category, or if you prefer a bit of whimsy, check out the hooded towels that will have your baby looking like a cute little monkey.
9. Organic or Eco-Friendly Baby Carriers & Wraps - Whether choosing a baby carrier or wrap to tote your tot, look for products made with either organic cotton fabric or made from eco-friendly, recyclable material. Boba Carriers and SleepyWrap are two brands that provide these options. In fact, most mainstream brands offer organic versions of their carriers these days.
10. Eco-Friendly Toys - Of course, what child will keep toys out of their mouths? If there is a chance it will be chewed on, make sure the items if made from organic cotton fabric, bpa-free plastics (in the case of teethers) or eco-friendly wood.
To view items from these categories and create a green gift registry, please visit http://organicbabygiftboutique.com
- ► 2012 (13)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ▼ April (4)